Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pitchfork: Part Deux


he can hear them sirens coming

Got to Union Park in time to catch the back end of A Hawk and a Hacksaw's set. I wasn't really paying attention, so I can't tell you if it was good or not. Caribou was pretty ferocious, which was entertaining to watch. I liked how the two drum kits were set up, so that they semi-mirrored each other. As expected, the crowd left after that so my comrades and I were able to obtain excellent seating (standing?) for Dizzee Rascal.

It was a lot of fun. Dizzee has a great stage presence and really seemed to enjoy standing out from the rest of the festival as some sort of groovy, hard-banging anomaly ("Y'all been listenin' to dat folk shit all weekend-yo fuck dat shit!"). He played all the hits, notably a spot-on rendition of "I Luv U" that has re-addicted me to its sinister, ear-fucking bassline. As they would say in the East End, "it's some heavy blood, innit?" It is a paragon of UK hip-hop equaled by few other songs. I really wanted to yell "Roll Deep!" during the set, but I couldn't remember if he was still on good terms with them. Turns out he isn't, so it's a good thing I kept my mouth shut.

Edit: Yours truly is in this video.

Not surprisingly, Vampire Weekend was a disappointment following such a high-energy performance. The only people who were really enjoying it were the festival bros. Erza Koening is letting the fame get to him. Extra Golden, on the other hand, was really really great. Pitchfork would be a lot more one-dimensional if it weren't for the hasty addition of world musicians. Anyway, their take on Kenyan pop, which is called benga, is refreshing and a lot of fun to dance to. I caught the beginning of Bradford Cox's (Atlas Sound) set, which seemed like it was off to a good start. Then I got tired and decided to head home. I regret not staying for No Age (and Animal Collective, I guess).

No comments: