Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pitchfork: The Final Chapter



And so, I collected all of the knowledge I had gained about the Pitchfork experience in the last two days and applied it to the best of my knowledge on Sunday (Read: I looked for all the free stuff). I saw about half of HEALTH's set. I watched Les Savy Fav from a distance. I lamented the absence of El Guincho. The first show I actually put effort into seeing was Ghostface Killah and Raekwon. It was decent. I've heard that Ghostface gives the best live performance out of everyone in the Wu. They looked tired and insisted on reminding the crowd how they just got off a 9 hour flight from Europe. does this mean they didn't play Rock The Bells the day before? I do not know. I was impressed by how well the Pitchfork crowd sang along. It wasn't embarrassing for either of them. We requested Kilo, but for some reason the DJ hadn't keyed it up in his equipment...what gives? How would you not have one of the singles off of a recent album available? This, coupled with the fact that their set went on longer than expected, took the edge off of things during the second half.

My spirits were raised by Occidental Brothers Dance Band International, a Chicagoan/West African dance band. Great rhythmic stuff. The frontman can be summarized in one sentence: "If you like the music, say YAYAYAYAYAAH!" Once they finished, I wandered around some more and then went to watch Bon Iver, who was alright.

The wait for Cut Copy was excruciating. 15 minutes after they were supposed to come on stage, King Khan and Brandon Cox appeared to let everyone in the crowd know that CC was still at the airport. So they jammed for an increasingly volatile crowd. After a long period of unhappiness, they finally came on and played a half set. It was great, life-threatening, and too short. Stupid noise ordinances. What's worse, they won't be back in Chicago until September...on a Wednesday. Life is cruel.

No comments: