Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Prof. Downey's Challenge

So my LIS 201 professor asked us to go a week without using social networking websites (Twitter/Facebook/YouTube being the trifecta). I genuinely considered doing this for a good ten minutes before I tweeted about how I wasn't going to do it. I'll try to consider this objectively: If I stopped using these social networking tools, I'd most likely be upset for a few days that I couldn't use them as an escape from everyday reality. After all, that's why I enjoy Twitter and Facebook so much. It gives an individual the freedom to explore new data about the world around them, but at a heightened pace and with less control. The lack of control on the Internet is thrilling; there are days when I learn about something I had no idea existed the day before. The real world can't do that for me; more often than not I have to seek out new information if I want it. Why would I deny myself that pleasure? I am a firm believer in the fact that the Internet can only improve me as a person, because I know to wield it responsibly. Not sure everyone can say that, though.

And now, for your viewing pleasure. You'll recognize the sample used in "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa.

1 comment:

Jenn Huck said...

I simply must get some fur with its face still attached.

And glad to hear that you considered the project for at least 10 minutes :)